Sep 25, 2011

3 Months Til I Take the Final Exam!

Last year at this time I was enrolled in Abnormal Psychology and also studying my butt off for the GRE's.  I had to take the GRE's in early November and I only had a few short weeks to prepare.  I dedicated all of my personal free time to study for the darn test and I was determined to pass it (at least get the grade I needed to enter in the Counseling program).  All of my hard work (and LOTS of support from my husband) paid off and I scored above what I needed for the program.

Fast forward a year later, and nothing much has changed in terms of me studying.  I'm currently not enrolled in my grad program, and eventually I will go back, who knows when, but no rush for me.  I'm not taking any classes at Hofstra, however I'm treating my labor and birth process to be my official class for this semester.  I have been preparing my best, and yes there are days where I slack off (i.e, zeppoli's and pizza) but all in all I've been trying my dam hardest to be healthy throughout this pregnancy so that when the big day comes, I'm ready to welcome our beautiful baby into this world.


Three months from today, Santa will be here and I will probably be HUGE.  What's really ironic is that my mother gave birth to me on December 26th, 1980 and our baby's due date is the 27th.  So everything that she went through in terms of timing, I am going through now.  It's pretty amazing when I really think about it.  I was born 2 weeks late though.  I was originally due on December 14th.  According to this month's issue of Fit Pregnancy, first born children tend to be born a little later than the approximated due date AND also if the mother (my mom) had a later birth, it may be the same for me too.  Hey, I'll take it as long as she arrives safely.

So in order for me to prepare for my "final" aka labor and birth, I have dedicated my personal time to really think things through and try my best to always remember that I will NEED TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND and things do change.

Knowledge is Power - that's why I work at a school :)

The book that I just started reading, HypnoBirthing, The Mongan Method is a very good, interesting read.    What is hypnobirthing? From hypnobirthing.com:

HypnoBirthing® - The Mongan Method - is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth education, enhanced by self-hypnosis techniques. HypnoBirthing® provides the missing link that allows women to use their natural instincts to bring about a safer, easier, more comfortable birthing. Emphasis is placed on pregnancy and childbirth, as well as on pre-birth parenting and the consciousness of the pre-born baby.  As a birthing method, HypnoBirthing® is as new as tomorrow and as old as ancient times. 

I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of it all, but I'm assuming there's much relaxed breathing and imagery involved, which is already very similar to meditation.  I've been attending a meditation class weekly and I try my best to meditate when I can.  It's pretty hard to close out your thoughts and just focus on your breath, but when you are able to do that, you become extremely relaxed.  

In addition to studying Hypnobirthing book (I am literally going to take notes in a labor book), I am doing the following to prepare for the big day:

- Continue Meditating 
- Continue exercising and eating healthy (I'm no Mother Theresa when it comes to food, but I am trying)
- Meet with my labor coach - I hired my OBGYN's wife to be my doula.  I've heard great things from others who have used her and I will need the extra support, in addition to Nelson
- Being positive about the birthing process!
- Create a calming playlist for the labor (new age) and create a pump it up playlist for the birth (see songs below)

Fear = Tension = Pain 

To extinguish the fear, I am doing what I can so that when the day comes, I'll embrace the labor process instead of dreading it.  You may think I'm crazy, but my goal is to do this naturally, with no meds.  I've had Hodgkin's Disease, gallbladder and back surgery, so for this one time in my life, I would like to take charge of my body and go through the miracle of birth. I want to remember every moment of it, because once those drugs kick in, everything will become a blur.  If I got through that other crazy stuff, and if disabled people can run the NYC Marathon, I can certainly TRY my best to do this the way it was intended to be.  And of course I can't do it on my own.  Nelson will have to dust off his Soccer Captain skills and become my coach.  I know he will do an amazing job and having our doula there will also help us along the way.  

Knowing that things can and will absolutely change is fine but as long as the will to try is there, I am happy with that.  

During my weekly jog/walk at the park today, I was listening to the lyrics of most of the songs that I had on my playlist.  If I'm blessed to have a birth without a c-section, I would like to have these songs on a playlist during the "pushing" part of birth:

Kanye - Stronger (this always gets me pumped up when I'm jogging):
Now that don't kill me
Can only make me stronger
I need you to hurry up now'cause I can't wait much longer
I know I got to be right now'cause I can't get much wronger 
Man I've been waitin' all night now
That's how long I've been on you

Coldplay - Yellow (such a sweet song that it will help me focus on the outcome):
Look at the stars, 
Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, 
Yeah they were all yellow, I came along I wrote a song for you 
And all the things you do And it was called yellow 
So then I took my turn 
Oh all the things I've done 
And it was all yellow 
Your skin Oh yeah your skin and bones
 Turn into something beautiful 
D'you know you know I love you so You know I love you so 

The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony (love the instrumentals in this)
Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life Trying to make ends meet 
You're a slave to money then you die
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down
You know the one that takes you to the places where all the veins meet yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment