Jul 8, 2011

Sometimes I forget I'm pregnant...

Until I can't order drinks at happy hour while we are in Florida on vacay. Normally I don't mind but one thing that we love to do is to have an ice cold Corona on the beach and just talk about life and such. Well I still talk! :)


This was the very first trip where I really thought about having a child with us at the beach. This is pretty much the last vacation that we will have together, alone. I am so excited that we are bringing new life to this world, but it is a little overwhelming knowing that it will not just me and Nelson anymore.  We will have to get in as much alone time as we can! Hmmm what to do...what to do... Suggestions are welcome :) 


This trip has been a lot of fun. Nate and Nicole came down for a few days and it was fun finding new places with them.  We hung out, ate a lot of food, watched fireworks on the beach, got some sun, and played some games. 


What's a little strange is that I still don't look pregnant. Last week I had more of a little pudge down there and this week, it's been pretty normal.  Guess last week I ate more and maybe a lot more bloating?  Hey I'll take it, but can't seem to understand where our 4 inch little guy is hanging!  


Oh! I must say that I believe I felt him the other night, and even a little yesterday.  When we all got back home from a nice dinner in Miami, we decided to bring home dessert from a Cafe and eat it while watching a movie.  Apparently this cake, called "The Bomb" was one of Oprah's Favorite Things.  So of course we had to get that in addition to 3 other slices of cake (carrot, chocolate mocha, and strawberry).  


This is "The Bomb" cake.  The middle layer is cheesecake and the rest is pretty much delicious yumminous chocolate fudgy delight.  I liked it, didn't LOVE it, but I really enjoyed the chocolate mocha cake.  The rest of the other cakes I gave to Nelson because all I need is chocolate :)


About 5 minutes after eating this cake, I felt a few tingles in my lower abdomen.  The tingles would stop for a little bit and then start again for a little.  This happened within a 5 minute period.  It's so funny how you just have to stop and listen to your body.  It's a bizarre feeling and I hope that it was the little guy enjoying the sweets.  A couple days later when I was sitting on the couch again, I had the same feeling.  I know it was a different feeling from the "round ligament" pain since I felt that before.  This felt more like a little electric "tap, tap, tap" from inside.  He's just saying hi!


A great book that I'm reading is "A Holistic Guide To Pregnancy and Childbirth" by Deepak Chopra, MD.  My sister-in-law Kerry gave it to me as a gift and she said it was her bible when she was pregnant with her 2 kids. 


I love it so far and it's pretty amazing how every sense a pregnant woman goes through, affects her child within the womb.  Honestly I believe that anyone can read this book, not just pregnant women.  It really makes you stop and admire and appreciate your surroundings.  One section of the book called "Nourish Your Baby and Yourself Through Sound," talks about how sounds play an important role in "balancing your biological rhythms."  The author suggests that both of us speak to the baby through poetry and even songs.  Oh we have no problem with that!  He also suggests to create a nickname or term of endearment for the unborn child and to speak to her often.  So I've been thinking of nicknames and I've come up with...


  
Since the baby is growing in my tummy, I can compare myself to "Kanga" and he/she is "Roo" from Winnie the Pooh.  Please note that Roo has nothing to do with the name of our unborn child.  We are trying to keep that a surprise and until we find out the sex, we won't even know what name to choose yet.  


And finally the author suggests that we sing lullabies to our baby.  Lately I've just been singing the melody of this song to Baby Roo:




Nelson's in dream land and soon we will be going out to a Thai dinner, another ritual that we have here in Florida.  Ta ta for now!

2 comments: