Jun 29, 2011

A Labor Story...

From Auntie Chris.  Thank you so much for the stories, and glad to hear you were able to stick with your decision!  She said I could post these, so take a looksie! 



I was very young 20 years and 22 days I think.
With Clarice I didn’t have any drugs.  I didn’t like the effects of drugs on the baby.  I took classes but they sucked and nothing can prepare you for the discomfort that labor brings.  It hurts…it hurts for hours every 10 minutes.  So you cant rest.  I remember at the end I was asking Nuno to tell them to give me something to let me rest…and I would promise to come back tomorrow..that was my true thoughts.  But it doesn’t work that way.  Every woman who has given birth has stories.  I didn’t like the thought of a needle in my back.  Elaine had one for Nelson and she didn’t like it…gave her headaches I believe.  I think she went natural with Nathan (a year after me).
I went into mild labor with Clarice at 10 p.m…..missing out on a nights sleep.  She was born 10:20 a.m.  Which isn’t bad.  I went into the hospital at 3 a.m.  Nuno actually asked if he had to miss work that morning.  Ugh.  MEN!!!  When in the hospital, I thought whats the big deal..it hurts a little so what.  But..when it gets closer and closer and you cant rest between contractions you lose it.  You feel like you need a rest…a break to recoup later.  But that doesn’t happen.  So you have to endure.  I asked for drugs…but I had read about all the drugs and new I didn’t want any.  They offered Spinal I said no way… they offered drugs interveinesly (spelling) and I said no, cause babies come out asleep and they need to be slapped awake..i didn’t want anything in my baby.  But I wanted something to relieve the pain.  It never happened and she just started to come out.  The nurses told me not to push but Clarice just started to come right out.  I said “I’m  NOT pushing” but the baby gushes out… back in the day they had to move me to the delivery room and then Clarice came out almost easily.  Your bottom gets numb naturally from having a baby…I walked funny for days.
Ok for Neal… slightly different.  I learned of one medication that I considered.  I recommended it to Sabrina but she didn’t use it.  No one I know has ever used it.  But I highly recommend it.  When having a baby, the worst part isn’t deliver… its labor before delivery.  Your dad may be able to advise.  He should be an expert.  I knew that deliver can wear you down.  You lose your strength and your patience.  What I opted for was a Cervical block?  Don’t think its called that.  Let me explain.  Drugs through IV go into the baby.  Spinal things make you numb.  I don’t like either one.  I want to push and get that baby out of me.  Pushing isn’t as bad as you think…it’s the labor before that, that wears you down.  So what I opted for was a cervical block?  Not sure that’s the name but let me explain.  When the labor gets hard and you get tired… ask for this needle that they go inside and numb the cervix with nova cane.  All the pain you feel during labor is in the cervix.  The baby contractions effect the cervix and tire you out.  So I requested they numb the cervix when it hurt too much.  It’s a local.  I wont say anything doesn’t goes to baby but it is basically a local.  So what happened was I got it once.  It lasted for 45 mintues.  They did it, they monitor your contractions on a monitor and I didn’t feel the contractions.  Then after 20 minutes I barely felt them…then 10 more minutes they were mild…then 10 more they started to hurt… and I said, “ can you give me another shot”  they checked and said NO, you are now 10 centimeters…time to push.  J  So I went 45 minutes without feeling much discomfort and I was able to push and feel the baby come out.  Which is a wonderful thing.
People on drugs don’t remember parts of the labor and people with spinal don’t feel the baby coming out, which doesn’t hurt… the worst part of having the baby is the hours before it comes out.  I could never convince my own mother of that cause she was of the error where women were put out cold and they used forceps to remove the baby…we don’t want that.
If you are put out, they usually put you out at the end.. and the end which YES is very tedious and tiring, its short and not as bad as the hours of labor before.
I hope you find it helpful…you should ask your dad about what it is that I received.  Its not in the back or spine..its internal in the cervix and once the cervix is “open” then they cant give you more… and its up to you to finish the job. 
Good luck, hope someone uses this method…I loved it.  It was as close to going natural as I know… and I did go natural with Clarice.  But I was tired for days and days.. hard to catch up with the loss of sleep that one night in labor all night.
Love you
Auntie chris

No comments:

Post a Comment