Jun 28, 2011

HE, HIS, HIM, LITTLE GUY

I'm sure you noticed that when I refer to the baby I've been saying "he" a lot.  Well Nelson and I have a gut feeling the baby is a boy.  Our reasoning is pure scientific.  Male sperm travel a whole lot faster than the lady sperm, however they do die off quickly and the lady sperm outlive the male sperm.  Since I took an ovulation test on a Friday morning, and Sunday evening was the day that the birds and the bees happened, we feel that my wee little egg was just waiting for Mr. Right. just like the video below:
 
 

 Did you see the little Rose? Nelson's sperms are so romantic! :-) 

Regardless we will find out if our instincts are correct on Saturday August 13th at 8am.  If the little guy cooperates, he will be able to prove us right or WRONG.  Either way we will be ecstatic, but I know there are a few little bets going on, so if I were you, I would say, go with the boy bet! and then give me some of the cash!  

On another note, I watched the documentary "The Business of Being Born."  I watched it by myself while Nelson was working out, and he asked me the other day if I think he should watch it.  Hmmm I'm not sure... There are A LOT of births in the video and I handled them pretty well, but a couple of them were a little more than I expected to see.  They were all beautiful moments though!  Because of the documentary, the whole birth plan has me thinking.  I'm actually CONSIDERING and CONSIDERING the key word here, to TALK about Natural child birth, WITHOUT the drugs.  GULP, can't believe I just typed that.  Now I want to restate that I'm THINKING about it and haven't made up my mind completely.  I have about 180 days to still think about it!  The reason why I would not do the drugs is for a couple of things that the documentary brought up.  When a woman gets an Epidural, it completely relieves the pain, making you NUMB, which then counteracts with the dilation of the cervix.  When the woman isn't dilating according to schedule, then the doctor's administer Pitocin.  From about.com:
Pitocin is a liquid medication that is a synthetic form of the naturally occurring hormone, oxytocin. Pitocin is diluted with a standard saline solution an introduced into your body by IV drip.

What pitocin also does is SPEED UP labor and cause more contractions.  When that happens, the Epidural tends to fade away, and then the woman would most likely get ANOTHER dose of epidural to ease the pain, and so the cycle continues.  A battle between 2 drugs.  Then after a certain amount of time, if there's no more progress, the doctor (so that he/she may go home to dinner) may just order the C-section, regardless if there are any complications.  C-section is a quick 20 minute procedure BUT it is major surgery.  If I can avoid having another major surgery, I will, but if it's emergency and lives are at stake, absolutely do what you gotta do, Doc.

Oh they also brought up the possibility of Pitocin/any meds during birth being the possible causes of certain disorders in children.  Now that's one side of the story, so who knows what to believe?! 

I would like to do more research on this and talk to mothers who have gone through the whole birthing process.  My sis-in-law had drugs for her first and none for her second and I believe her second birth was faster than her first and she could feel her legs after.  
I will not be all hippie like and want an at home birth.  I believe in hospitals, especially since I've been around the medical field my entire life, but I think knowing all the options and consequences are important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment