May 6, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For

Just last week, I was saying to Nelson that I was nervous that something was up because I didn't really feel any symptoms.  I just have the typical increase in boobie size but they haven't gotten any bigger.  I am not extremely fatigued like most pregnant women feel.  I have slept through the nights but I haven't been passing out at 8pm like a lot of other stories I have heard.  

Well since this past Tuesday, I have been having slight morning sickness.  Luckily for me, it's just been in the mornings and early afternoons. And just this morning I had my very first dry heave.  My goal is not to spew anything up, so I'll take the dry heaving.

To curb my morning sickness, I eat saltine crackers.  I stocked up on crackers yesterday when I went to BJ's.

I also find myself not wanting to eat salads. Actually on Tuesday, I brought a nice, healthy salad with romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, tomatoes, olives, and artichoke hearts.  

The texture of the hearts just made me want to gag.  Just looking at the picture above makes me queasy.  So I stopped eating the salad and ended up getting some pizza. That did feel much better. The crunchy carbs was what I needed.  Can't eat pizza everyday though! My butt can't handle that yet!

I noticed that brown rice and beans will work.  I brought in some soup today with some kale so hopefully i can get more iron/calcium in that way. 

Another annoying symptom is the HEARTBURN!
Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and I brought in chips and guacamole.  I had crazy heart burn after that. I asked those who ate it to see if they had heart burn, but nope i was the only one.  

This is why heartburn is so prevalent in preggers:

During pregnancy, the placenta produces the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the smooth muscles of the uterus. This hormone also relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach, allowing gastric acids to seep back up, which causes that unpleasant burning sensation.

What Can I do to Avoid this ugly sensation? 
  • Avoid food and beverages that cause you gastrointestinal distress. The usual suspects are carbonated drinks; alcohol (which you should avoid anyway during pregnancy); caffeine; chocolate; acidic foods like citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, mustard, and vinegar; processed meats; mint products; and spicy, highly seasoned, fried, or fatty foods.
  • Don't eat big meals. Instead, eat several small meals throughout the day. Take your time eating and chew thoroughly.
  • Avoid drinking large quantities of fluids during meals — you don't want to distend your stomach. (It's important to drink eight to ten glasses of water daily during pregnancy, but sip it between meals.)
  • Try chewing gum after eating. Chewing gum stimulates your salivary glands, and saliva can help neutralize acid.
  • Don't eat close to bedtime. Give yourself two to three hours to digest before you lie down.
  • Sleep propped up with several pillows or a wedge. Elevating your upper body will help keep your stomach acids where they belong and will aid your digestion.
 I will try to make sure I follow the steps above.  I have plenty of tums on me at all times.  
Regardless of all these annoying and gross symptoms, I know it's part of a wonderful journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment